Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Hair Trial and Things I've learned Since Becoming A Blogger

Its finally a beautiful day here in NYC! The sun is shining and the temperature is around the 50 degree mark. Spring is coming!!! Yes, I know we have a couple weeks more of cold, then warm, then cold, then warm but it's coming. I'm just sitting here waiting for it.

Since I knew it was going to be a pretty day today, I took the time to set my hair late last night. I need to start some hair trials for Viva. I need hair that's easy and cute and that will last through a whole day.

Ashley from Lisa Freemont Street uploaded a youtube tutorial to go with the Gene Tierney pin curl setting pattern from her Hedy Lamarr blog post (here is the tutorial). I thought I would try it out. Here are the results:








Not perfect but I'll try it again this weekend. My hair wasn't freshly washed so that may make the results a little neater. Plus, I think I need to layer the top of my hair a little more. I think I'll have Honey do that this weekend. Once that's done I'll post the results again.

Now on to the second part of my post. This month marks 2 1/2 months of blogging for me. Its been soooo much fun. I had been wanting to start a blog for a year prior but... I don't know... It never really got started.
I've met so many interesting and fun people since starting this blog. Some I've only met online (I will meet a lot of them at Viva so that's super exciting), and some I've met in person. All have been lovely! So what have I learned since I've started blogging...?

1. Vintage/Rockabilly/Pinup  girls are not as scary and stuck up as I thought it would be- I honestly heard horror stories of stuck up girls (and guys) and the nasty things they have to say about newbies. To be fair, NYC doesn't have what I would call a Vintage scene, so I guess I haven't met too many people. But the people I have come in contact with either online or in person have only been super nice and supportive. I've gotten likes and sweet (and helpful) comments on Instagram from well known people in the Vintage scene. No one as been discouraging or mean spirited. Only helpful.

2. Incorporating vintage into my wardrode is not as impossible as it may seem- I don't wear head to toe vintage everyday only because it's not practical in my line of work. I spend most of my day in leotards and tights. I can't always have my hair set because I need to have it pulled back to teach. I've been getting things little by little. I wear pieces of it everyday. On weekends and when we go somewhere special I try to wear mostly vintage. The dance studio I teach at had a big fundrasing gala last weekend and I wore a quilted circle skirt with a cute vintage blouse. The only thing not vintage were my shoes. My kids LOVED it!! I got a lot of compliments from everyone on how elegant the outfit looked. So I guess I'm heading in the right direction.

3. I'm okay with being stared at or looked at funnily- HAHA! This is the best one. It cracks me up when I get the occasional side eye on the subway. I'm not really sure what most people are thinking when they see someone dressed as I do. It seems that older people always give a little knowing nod. People around my age think I'm trying to be a hipster, which living in Brooklyn is normal, so whatever. And younger people, like teenagers and younger just stare. I think they're like..."Surely this lady knows that no one wears their hair that curly anymore!" Its a complete riot. It doesn't bother me though. I'm learning that that is just part of it.

4. I actually LIKE doing my hair and makeup- Before last year I used to dread putting on makeup. I thought that unless it was for a performance it was a waste of my time. Now I look forward to it.  I love to see my transfomation into a 50s girl. I think now that I know what I'm doing and where all the color is supposed to go it's a bit easier and thus a little more fun. My hair is also more fun to do. I LOVE curling my hair. Before I constantly wore my hair straight and was constantly bored. Now I can set my hair at night and spend only a few minutes on the brush out in the morning and be done. Or I can put a few cute rolls in my hair and put a snood on and instantly I feel pretty. It's the best!


5. I actually want to learn how to sew!!!!- YES!! I really do!! I never really thought about it before. But within the last few months I've had the really big urge to learn to sew. I see all the beautiful things that other girls make and it inspires me to get going. No, I don't expect to be as good as these girls but I at least want to be able to sew a decent hem or repair a must have vintage find that needs some love. I hope to start this summer. I already have Honey on the lookout for a sewing machine!! Now I just need to know where to start and how to get started. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!!!

Well... that's that. Just a few things that have been on my mind. I'm really starting to love this blog and the people I've met through it... I plan on keeping it up for a long time!!!

Get out and enjoy this lovely weather if you live in the Northeast. If not I hope you're enjoying a spring preview like the one we're enjoying here!!!


Until next time!!

post signature

14 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful post! I just love hearing about people's experiences as they've grown as bloggers and/or vintage lovers. It's awesome that you're finding it easier and easier to deal with the gazes strangers cast your way when you're sporting "full vintage" in public. I haven't (generally speaking) noticed them in years (it continues to get easier, I promise) you, but if I'm out with someone like my husband or mom, they'll often say something to me like, "That person was checking out your outfit" or "That woman totally smiled when she saw you!". It's sweet to see people watching me through my family's eyes. :)

    Here's to countless more months (and years!) of vintage blogging and wearing, dear gal - you're certainly off to a stellar start!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! You are definitely one of those genuinely nice people I was talking about. Thanks for all of the support and kind words.

      Delete
  2. Your hair looks cute! I'm glad that blogging has been a positive experience for you. I've noticed that in any niche fashion style there will be good and bad people. It sucks when we come across a snob that that's on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair looks very cute. I might have you do mine someday. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely post. Love number 3 on that list! I'm still getting used to stares, and think I always will be a little nervous about it. I guess it depends on my mood and the person doing the staring. When its people my own age or people middle-aged or above, I kind of enjoy it - it's the packs of leery sexist ignorant men folk, or the scary look-like-they-could-easily-beat-me-up teenage chavs that worry me! It's so great that you're so confident already though :)
    Love the hair! Looks great! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! I agree with the scary teenagers. I tend to get a little uneasy around the ones that have a chip on their shoulder and show it. And the gross sexist men are nasty even if you had on a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad that people in the vintage community aren't as scary as you thought they'd be. I've been a part of it for many years and to me the majority of people are super nice. Yes, there are snobs and beeyotches, but I just don't pay them any attention. I always focus and having a good time so I could care less if someone is hating on me.

    Hopefully I will run into you at viva!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to see you there too! I'll keep a lookout for you!

      Delete
  6. Wow-you have learned so much in such a short time! I agree about the vintage community and how wild that you get looks. No one seems to notice when I am dressed vintage haha! I cannot wait for our first meet up-whoot! Here's to the NY Rosies!!! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY NY Rosies! I'm definitely excited for the meetup! You and Franny have been so nice I already consider you guys friends even though we haven't met in person.

      I think the reason I get looks is because of where I live. I live in a mostly African American part of Brooklyn so you NEVER see a black girl dressed like me where I live. When I'm in Manhattan I don't get as many looks. When I do it's mostly from people who seem to be tourists.

      Delete
  7. Great post! I started my own blog at the beginning of the year too, and I've found myself completely agreeing to each of the points you've learned since starting the blog. I too have been feeling more comfortable with doing my hair and make up, going out in public dressed "differently", and meeting others in the vintage and Rockabilly scenes. I learned how to sew many years ago, but rarely did anything with the skills. Since joining the vintage blog community I've been inspired to start sewing more. I would suggest starting with simple patterns; circle skirts are easy to make and add a necessary piece to your wardrobe. You can usually find vintage patterns at second hand store in fairly good condition for cheap.
    Maybe I'll run into you at Viva! If not, I hope you have a great time! Only 2 weeks left!

    Deborah
    Hellcat Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of my sewing is from my first few years at high school. You really just need the basics. I'm not the best but I think once I get more free time I'll improve. So yeah, my advice is just give it time and practice and don't worry about mistakes; because mistakes are inevitable. Love your hair today :D

    http://meggymoo0.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, I am just awful at vintage hairstyles. Great post! Sounds like you've learned a lot!
    Jillian - http://epic-thread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad I found your blog! If you ever find the time take a few sewing classes, scan your local newspaper or ask around at fabric stores. Once you learn how to use a sewing machine and read a pattern the possibilities are endless!!

    Lorie~ http://ferndalelane.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...