Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Spring time Tune (or tone) Up!

Well, as I write this we are expecting another winter storm to hit the Northeast later tonight into tomorrow. UGH! I'm usually a cool weather girl but this winter has been so grey and ugly that I'm actually itching for spring.

With Viva right at 3 weeks away I thought I would start toning and detoxing. There has been a lot of things going on with my body the last few weeks. Nothing serious just things like bloating, gas and constipation, but all things that say I need to start paying a little more attention to my diet. As a dancer I usually eat pretty healthily but being in my 30s now, certain things that I could eat before make me feel all bloaty now.  Not to mention that I have suffered from acne for as long as I can remember and the older I get the more my diet plays into it. I know we're going to be taking a lot of pictures and meeting others who will be taking pictures so I want to be photo ready!

I know I'm starting a little late on the detox train, but my lifestyle is already so active with daily dancing that I don't think I need to do TOO much (I come from a slight disordered eating background so I have to stay conscience that I am not overdoing my dieting).  So this is what I've been doing since Monday (and intend to keep doing until Viva) as far as my eating is concerned.

Keep in mind I'm constantly moving and burning calories and energy so I have to eat a few more times than most people.


First thing in the morning: Tall glass of water with EmergenC. (MUST get my vitamin c intake while working with the kiddies!! )

Breakfast: Steel cut oatmeal with cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins. Cup of coffee (did I mention that I'm a caffeine addict. I'm trying to cut back to 1 cup a day. That's down from 3 or more... I know, I know)

Snack: Green Monster Smoothie (recipe to follow) and fruit.  Most likely a pear or apple.

Lunch: Salad. I try to switch up the type of salad so that I don't get bored. I try to add some sort of protein to it to keep my energy up. I've been really enjoying mixed greens with tuna and avocado and balsamic dressing.

Snack: Usually pita chips and hummus or some sort of nuts like almonds. And another piece of fruit.

Dinner: I've been trying to up my fiber intake so we've been eating a lot of non meat proteins.  Last night we had marinated steak (Honey really had  the steak. I had a tiny piece so that I wouldn't feel jealous) and succotash. Succotash is normally just a mixture of beans and veggies. Honey made it with red kidney beans, corn, fresh green beans, red onion and avocado and mixed it in with a homemade barbecue sauce.  You saute it all in a pan and serve hot. Make sure to add the avocado AFTER it's cooked or else it gets mushy. Sooo yummy.

Dessert: A small portion of whatever I've baked for the week... This week it was... NOTHING (gasp!)

Throughout the day I've been trying to make sure I drink TONS of water. You have too when you increase your fiber intake. It can get really uncomfortable in your tummy if you don't!

I've also been trying to add some exercises to my daily routine. I dance constantly but its not enough to keep me as toned as I would like. Like I said, the older I get the more I have to do to keep me in the shape that I'm in... so in addition to my ballet I've added

Plank- for a couple of minutes. Great for abs and core strength

20-30 Standing push ups

30 Slow demi-plies and grand pliès (demi-plies which you may know are small bends of the knee that dancers do to warm up. Grand pliés are like demi but are deeper and bigger)

30 pliè- relevé (that's when you do a pliè making sure your knees are over your toes, straighten your legs in one movement and raise up onto the ball of your feet)

Lots of floor stretches

"Butt crunches"- as many as I can handle. ( Not the technical name for it but that's what I've named them. Its when you lie on the floor with your feet on the ground hip width apart. You slowly raise your buttocks and hips off of the ground and squeeze your glutes. Then slowly lower to the ground. My thighs and rear are my "problem" areas so I pay close attention to them. My core (tummy) is pretty much in check so I don't have to do too much tummy stuff.

I try to do this in the studio before I teach or before I go to bed at night. As a dancer I don't really like to use weights. When I do I tend to get bulky muscles instead of long elegant ones. I would rather use resistance bands or my own body weight. Plus... I'm soooo lazy when it comes to working out. I think I'm the laziest dancer I know hehe!! If you would like more details on the exercises just ask me! I'm more than happy to help!
 
I also found this cute website with great tips for a pinup body...without the waist training (geez that stuff looks painful!!).

 Possibly Vintage has some super cute retro workouts for the girl who wants to keep it totally vintage.

If you are looking to tone and get in shape I cannot say enough good things about Pilates!!! It is a fantastic option to get a dancer's body without the dancing! It works wonders in a relatively short period of time. It really does make EVERYTHING stronger! It's great!!!

Hopefully by the time Viva comes I'll at least feel warmer weather ready, even if I may look exactly the same. Like I said, I'm not trying to lose weight, just tone a little and look and feel overall healthier!!!

Here is the recipe for the Green Monster Smoothie! Don't be afraid! It looks ummm... very green...but it's actually really good. Its supposed to be a great smoothie to improve hair, nails, skin and boost metabolism. The only thing I change (or alternate) is the peanut butter. I'm not a huge peanut butter fan so sometimes I nix it. If I know it's going to be a long day then I add it because of the added protein.

So that's that. My pinup ready plan!

What's your daily routine to keep you skin, hair, nails and body "pinup" ready?

Remember, its not about the size of your waist but how healthy you feel... and how good you make others feel!! 
 
 




xoxo


post signature

15 comments:

  1. Get that body movin:) I love Pilates. I need to do it more often. It's one form of exercise I don't get bored by...I love all the stretching. Good look in Viva!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is the best workout ever!! I have a few friends who are pilates instructors but I don't take it nearly as much as I should!

      Delete
  2. I've been drinking a tall glass of water with half a lemon squeeze in the mornings. It helps curve my appetite and my skins clears up really nicely.

    I used to love lifting weights when I was working with my dad but now that I'm a stay-at-home wife I need lean muscles. I may try getting some ballet workouts in my routine. Once I get a routine that is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH!! I'll try the water with lemon and see if it helps my skin any!

      And definitely try ballet! If you like dancing then youmay find it fun!! Its a great workout!

      Delete
    2. I took ballet in college and really enjoyed it. I was toning up and bulking down. And I got pretty flexible too.

      Delete
    3. Oh! That's great!! I always encourage people to take dance back up. Go for it whenever you have the time.

      Delete
  3. You have a lot of motivation. I keep telling myself I'm going to go to the gym, and then something comes up (this week I got a cold). I also tell myself that I'm going to eat better, but don't have the desire if I am not going to the gym. I need someone to kick my butt into shape! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know alllll about distractions! I'm queen of them! Its really hard to keep yourself motivated! I find that if I don't think about it and just do it then it's much easier for me. I can easily talk myself out of doing things that need to get done!

      Delete
  4. Great ideas! I would never have guessed you are in your 30s, so it must be working! I just made the smoothie too, yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Thank!! Yep! I'll be 32 in August!!! I can't quite believe it myself! Time sure does fly by!

      Isn't the smoothie pretty yummy! You can't even taste the spinach! Not that I mind spinach. I actually quite like it but the smoothie tricks you into thinking you're eating something naughty! Love that!

      Delete
  5. I can totally relate to this post, as I am also on the pre-Viva fitness regime (although I started mid-January!) - the thought of the pool party keeps me motivated haha! I have been exercising at home (various workout dvds) around 3-4 times a week, and have also been walking for an hour during my lunch break. I have found that since I started working in an office, sitting at a desk all day has done no favours for my figure! Luckily I have a small waist, which can hide a multitude of sins, but my thigh/hip/butt is the area that I need to work on the most!!!! I drink a green smoothie for breakfast around 5 days a week, but I use: 1 banana, spinach (sometimes kale), frozen blueberries, and water or sometimes almond milk. Love it! Keep up the good work, and hopefully I'll get to meet you in Vegas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we do get to meet at Viva! We should exchange emails or something!

      Delete
  6. I love the last sentence of what you wrote, that's so true. I love your blog. I'm a new follower.

    -Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so jealous that you are going to Viva!!! Your eating and fitness plan looks pretty impressive, I've heard really good things about Butt Crunches - the VS girls swear by them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...