Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A Cake from a 1910 Recipe! Vintage YUMMM!!!

Today has been the most relaxing day ever.

The weather is almost perfect. The sun is shining and it's actually a little warm. At least warm enough to open all the windows in the apartment and let some fresh air in.

Its been pretty quiet all day so I took advantage and baked a cake.

This recipe I found on Pintrest a couple of days ago and it's been on my mind ever since.

Its an "Old Fashioned Butter Cake" or "One Bowl Yellow Cake"! YUMMMMM

It was pinned from a blog called Food for a Hungry Soul, who got it from another blogger, Renni, from  Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice (cute title for a blog, huh?)

The cake is a one bowl butter cake and is delicious!!! Reeni says the recipe is from a McCall's cookbook that was published in 1910. Its a SUPER easy recipe that I think actually tastes better than most modern cake recipes. There's really nothing to making it. It's literally as simple as 1,2,3.

What makes the cake even simpler to make is that it uses regular old, all purpose flour. Not cake flour. And the cake still comes out incredibly moist, with a nice crumb to it. It's sooooo yummy! It really does taste like the yellow cake your Grandma used to make! No extras, no bells and whistles. No brown butter or any fancy shmancy ingredients. Just pure, down home yumminess.

The recipe didn't come with a particular frosting recipe. You just frost with whatever recipe is your favorite. PLEASE if you have gone as far as to make a cake from scratch, make the frosting from scratch!! It's so much easier than you might think and tastes a million times better than the canned stuff! Reeni frosted her cake with a cream cheese frosting, but I went with the recipe from the side of the Hershey's Cocoa can. Its the EASIEST frosting recipe in the world and it's delicious!!!


Here is the recipe for the cake!!

2 Cups all purpose flour
1 and 1/4 cup sugar
1 TABLESPOON baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 cake pans (not specifying a size because really, who knows the real measurements of their cake pans???!!!??)

2.In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. 

3.Add butter, milk and vanilla
4. Beat with a hand mixer ( I used my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Can you believe I don't have a hand mixer at the moment. Mine died and I have yet to get another one.) for 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
5. Add eggs and beat another 2-3 minutes.

4. Pour batter into the prepared pans. Divide equally between the pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
5. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out of pans and cool on cooling rack until completely cool.
6. Frost with your favorite frosting and ENJOY!!!


That's it!!! 6 steps to bake a cake!!! You can't get any better than that! Try it! I promise you'll love it!!!



xoxo
post signature

5 comments:

  1. I want a piece! hehe Ya know I think I have to try this recipe-looks super easy and yummy!!! Great job mama! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that looks delicious, and super easy. I'll have to make this for our Sunday cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so yummy. Too bad I'm the only one who likes cake in the house. Maybe I'll make it next time my in-laws come over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so, so deliciously lovely - there's just something about the return of springtime weather that puts me in the mood for a good cake (I think it's because spring ushers in "birthday season" in our family, encompassing my mom's, brother's, mine, three cousins, Tony's, and even our cat's! all before August wraps up). Thank you for sharing this scrumptious recipe with us, honey.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe sounds great and I actually have all those ingredients in my house!! At the same time!! I collect vintage cookbooks so I love trying out old recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...