Saturday, July 6, 2013

Mid Century Housewife Day 11: Redemption Song

Sigh...

I want to thank you guys for the encouraging words when I had my mini breakdown in the last post. I'm such a perfectionist sometimes. It really stinks! But I'm better now and things are going much more smoothly. You guys are the best!!!!!

Yesterday (Friday), Day 11 of the Mid Century Housewife Project,was soooo much better than the days before.

I was able to fit breakfast, lunch and dinner in the day. I have been doing it all the other days but barely squeezing a light lunch in. I seemed to have more than enough time this time. YAY!!!

Before lunch I WALKED to the supermarket in 90 degree weather. In a day dress... Soooo hot!! We are in a middle of a heat wave here in the city. Have I ever mentioned to you all that I'm not a heat person. Yes, I'm from Louisiana but ugh!! I much prefer the cloudiness and coolness of the fall. I'm already excited for fall colors and the prospect of wearing soft sweaters and cardigans. And fall shoes!!!! OOHHH!! I can't wait to get my hands on some cute vintage or vintage-like fall shoes. I already have one pair gifted to me by a fellow blogger. I plan on pairing them with a wool circle skirt that I got toward the end of winter. I wasn't able to wear it because by the time I got it it was out of season.
OH! And the smell of pumpkin
OOOHHH!! And hot apple cider with cinnamon sticks!!!


Sorry about the fall day dreaming. It's my favorite season. Anyway. Its hot and I'm not enjoying it one bit.

Another thing that went well was the cleaning. Since I missed my "thorough clean" on Thursday because of the holiday, I had to double clean yesterday. That meant getting the ENTIRE apartment squeaky clean. Thankfully, I have the best Honey in the world, who didn't mind getting her hands dirty and helping out. I did most of the work but the small things she did really helped so that I could concentrate on the bigger things. YAY for teamwork!!!

Dinner was also a success!!!

It came from the Good Housekeeping Cookbook again




Honey was nervous about apple juice and sugar in a chicken dish but I had a feeling it would work well. And it did!!! Super YUM!!



We had some fresh broccoli in the fridge so I just steamed it and added rice.






And for dessert was Strawberry Shortcake



I don't know who Susan is but she has a darn good shortcake recipe!!! Thanks Susan!! You rock!





 I was pooped by the time I served dessert. During dinner I couldn't eat much because I just didn't have the energy to put fork to mouth!


Well, that was yesterday. Bear with me while I change subjects and talk about some blog happenings...

 I have decided to cut the project short by two days. SAD FACE. Honey has gigs to do makeup for PLUS her normal job at MAC, so for the next two days she'll be gone from morning to late at night/morning. That means the cooking big meals will be limited. Today will be the last day. I'll post about it tomorrow along with a summary of the 12 days.

But, I do plan on keeping Mid Century Housewife as a monthly feature on the blog. I'm thinking about posting the results of mid century recipes and giving housekeeping tips from mid century sources. I think it would be fun! I've been having such a blast that I want to keep the party going!

There will also be another feature starting this month. As most of you know I am a Christmas FREAK! I love everything about the holiday! I always start planning decor and outings around this time of year (there's only 5 months to go ya know. I know it seems like plenty of time but now is the time to start getting prepared so that you're not overwhelmed when the holiday arrives.). So every month on the 25th day (which is considered Rudolph Day) I'll do a vintage theme Christmas post. Maybe it will be about decorations, maybe about holiday planning. Who knows?!!? Just count on it being holiday-y!

Also Project Cape Cod is about to be in full swing!!! We have talked to our landlord and this will definitely be the last year in this apartment. When our lease is up next summer we hope to move into a place that will be in the location where we eventually plan on buying. We are thinking of looking farther from the city than initially planned. That way I'll be closer to work. It's a little scary. I never thought we'd be looking to settle outside of NYC but it's becoming more and more of a possibility. We'll see how everything pans out and I'll keep you all posted!

Hope you all are having a fabulous weekend!!

Stay cool!!

xoxo
post signature

6 comments:

  1. Ohhh yummy chicken recipe-looks delicious! So sorry to have to cut it short but I love it becoming a series. I love Christmas too and Halloween-already doing research on them for after summer hehe xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!! We have to get together at least once during the holiday season.

      Delete
  2. I totally feel you detesting this summer heat business, Fall is my favorite season too!!!!

    Good for both of you on taking steps towards your dream home/location. It seems like a daunting task now but trust me you will be glad you moved out of the city eventually, especially as you get older and realize being around a bunch of crazy people in an overcrowded city is not all that like when you're in your 20's.

    I'm in LA and slowly planning a move to Palm Springs in order to be in a place where I could buy a more affordable home in the future, so I totally know how you feel about the entire process. Just remember to really get a feel for what it would be like to live in that area and take it one day at a time until you decide that you both are ready for the move.

    Loving the posts, keep 'em coming. Can't wait to see what you got planned for the Christmas ones too, another fav holiday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! You are totally right. NYC isn't the same place for me that it was when I moved here at 17. I LOVE it, but sometimes I just want to live like a normal person. And avoid the subway.

      Delete
  3. You're not alone - I adore summer, I really do (it has so many good points under all that sweltering heat), but there's just no comparing to autumn in my books. It's my favourite season - and often a woefully short lived one here in Canada, so I try to savour each day to the max (and wear as many of my autumn garments as possible!).

    Love the new blog features you're working on - can't wait to see your fun Christmas themed posts!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear that this was a much better day in the Housewife challenge! I was on holiday last week, but made sure I caught up with all your posts when I got back this weekend - I have just LOVED this series, and I am sad that it is coming to an end!!!

    We are finally getting a summer here in London, and I am absolutely crazy about this hot weather! It is so rare for us, that I savour every moment of it! I also prefer my summer wardrobe and all the bright colours, so I am excited to wear all of my summer clothes and not have to wear tights, hats, scarfs, coats etc etc!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...