Monday, October 14, 2013

77 Years of the Rockefeller Center Ice Rink



I'm super excited today!

Is it my birthday? No... It it a special day at work? No... 

So what has me in a tizzy you ask?

Well...

Today is opening day of the Rockefeller Center Ice Rink!

That's right. Today the seasonal ice skating rink opens at Rockefeller Center. This is when I know that my favorite time of year is upon us.  

The ice rink debuted on December 25, 1936 and was meant to only be a one time thing. But with it's popularity it soon became a NYC fall/winter tradition. Every year the rink opens in October and lasts throughout the holiday season into the winter and is finally disassembled at the end of the winter season.

The rink is the more expensive of NYC's seasonal ice rinks(of course). It is also the most popular with tourists. Especially when that huge, beautiful Christmas tree is ushering in the Chrismas season. It is definitely iconic New York.

Here are some of my favorite images of the ice skating rink during the 1940s and 1950s. I love it because the rink looks exactly the same. The only thing different about the photos is the clothing of the skaters and merrymakers!

 Enjoy them and let them make you think of hot cocoa, mittens and scarves.















post signature

5 comments:

  1. I think you should go and post pictures for us:) I love seeing vintage photographs of Rockefeller. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these old skating photos. Have you ever gone skating there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to be able to ice skate because I have always seen this rink in movies and it just looks so fantastic! I can barely roller skate, so ice skating is certainly out of the question. You've found a great collection of photos. Look at that little girl on the Life magazine go! Will you be making a trip out on the rink?

    Deborah
    Hellcat Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so awesome! I love that you get giddy for the opening of this iconic, beautiful skating rink. I was practically born with skates on (it's a Canadian thing ;D), so I'm sure that if I lived anywhere nearby, I'd be excited and eager to go, too.

    Happy skating season!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is horrible but I've never skated in Rockefeller. I go for the tree lighting, I walk around there, but I've never been on the rink! But every year I definitely do Bryant Park.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...